LBMA PODCAST: Square, BlockAvenue, and PlaceIQ CEO Duncan McCall
Welcome to This Week in Location Based Marketing, a weekly video podcast from the Location Based Marketing Association. In this week’s episode, hosts Rob Woodbridge and Asif Khan talk about rumors that Facebook is looking to purchase Waze for $1 billion. Meanwhile, Square is set to check in to Foursquare’s neighborhood; BlockAvenue launches to give your city a grade; Unilever goes hyperlocal with its rewards program; Outback Steakhouse jumps back in time to when check-ins were the rage; The VERY cool Pennies for Life campaign by Microloan; Pew enlightens us on the state of location in mobile; Plus special guest Duncan McCall, CEO of PlaceIQ.
A few announcements
– We wrote (part of) a book! The Everything Guide to Mobile Apps and it is available for order now!
– If you’d like to leave a message for us to play on the show, leave it here
Top news of the week
1. Launch of BlockAvenue (8:40)
2. Pennies For Life campaign by Microloan (15:25)
3. Will Facebook purchase Waze? (19:10)
4. Unilever working with CausePlay inside of Northgate Gonzalez Markets – the hyper local mashup (36:23)
5. Outback Steakhouse checking in to 2007 with Laps for Apps (41:22)
6. Square goes after Foursquare with recommendations (45:55)