Street Fight, an integrated B2B media company focused on mobile and location marketing, commerce, media and technology, seeks a seasoned business journalist with leadership experience to take our daily content and editorial strategy to the next level.
In this role, you will be shaping the way influential decision-makers understand the fast-growing opportunities in hyperlocal marketing and technology. The companies we cover include tech giants like Facebook, Google, Twitter and PayPal; big-name local startups like Foursquare, Uber and Square; local publishers like Gannett, Digital First Media, YP, and Tribune; local commerce companies like Groupon, LivingSocial and Taskrabbit; local marketing companies like Constant Contact, GoDaddy, and Yodle; and big brands and agencies looking to figure out their local strategy. Candidates that can demonstrate passion and expertise for this dynamic space will be more highly considered.
You will be joining a profitable, four-year-old media, events and research startup with the wind at its back and big plans for growth. Street Fight is already the go-to resource for hyperlocal business information, and you will be reaching a well-established, core audience that really loves what we do and depends on us for business intelligence. The task in this position is to grow that audience, reaching further into the core demographic and extending into adjacent markets as well.
Among the responsibilities of this position: ramping up our daily content offerings; developing a long-term editorial strategy; creating and execute editorial series and packages (both pure-play and sponsored); recruiting and managing freelance writers, columnists, and guest authors; editing and managing our daily email newsletter; and writing regularly for the site. You will also work closely with our team to help create and shape programming for our popular live events in New York, San Francisco, Denver and London. And developing new editorial products in adjacent verticals may also become part of the strategy, as well as considering how we might leverage other media such as podcasts and videos.
The real macro opportunity here is to join a well-respected and influential publication and take it to new heights. We want you to bring a distinct voice and vision to Street Fight and grow our company’s notoriety and reputation among new audiences and to become an owner in that growth.
We have big ambitions for Street Fight and we seek a candidate who understands those ambitions, one who is keen to work hard to create an amazing editorial product.
The ideal candidate has:
- 8-10 years of experience as a business reporter or editor. Previous work covering technology, startups, or local marketing is a plus — as is an established following on social media.
- Experience working in a startup environment where you often have to improvise. An entrepreneurial/innovative spirit is a must.
- Experience managing and mentoring other journalists.
- The ability to do effective triage in juggling multiple tasks of varying urgency.
- The ability to work in a virtual office environment, managing and interacting with people all around the country. It’s important to be driven, self-motivated, and able to set (and execute on) your own deadlines. Candidate can live anywhere, but NYC or SF is preferred.
Send CV + cover to firstname.lastname@example.org.