Welcome to This Week in Location Based Marketing, a weekly video podcast from the Location Based Marketing Association, with hosts Rob Woodbridge and Asif Khan. In this week’s episode, Google wins the battle for Waze; Pandora thinks like an upstart and buys a radio station; WholeFoods gets local farming; PointsSign may have invented the street sign of the future; Twitter sells health data to mine for clues; The NOAA starts crowdsourcing weather; iOS7 gets into location-based app recommendations; Coca-Cola partners with Spotify for PlaceLists. Our resource of the week is Contagious by Jonah Berger and special guest is Paul Mabray, founder of VinTank.
A few announcements
– We wrote (part of) a book! The Everything Guide to Mobile Apps and it is available for order now!
– Do you have a location based marketing question? Ask us here and we’ll answer it on an upcoming show.
Top news of the week
1. Pandora buys FM Radio station KXMZ-FM in Rapid City, SD (11:40)
2. Google buys Waze (18:52)
3. WholeFoods is putting a 20,000 square foot farm on top a new store in Brooklyn (25:31)
4. PointsSign – the most sophisticated street sign ever made? (40:40)
5. Twitter + Everyday Health for public alerts / NOAA starts crowd sourcing weather data (44:35)
6. Apple iOS7 location-based app recommendations (51:40)
7. ImpactMobile partners with Star Micronics to close the mobile offer redemption loop (59:40)